Friday 5 August 2011

The Dawning of an Old Era

I was there.

Like the Beatles at the Cavern Club or the Sex Pistols at the 100 Club. I was present at a fun night, overdoing the bubbles, to celebrate a stylish upstart that has helped fatally wound print publishing.  How telling that the the Love My Dress Soiree coincided precisely with the demise of Cosmo Bride.

Although Annabel is far too fragrant to be John Lydon and, as far as I could determine, she wasn't with Lucy in the Sky,  though I did see diamonds. I feel very honoured to have been involved & invited to the the Love My Dress Soiree because I see it in the same light as I saw Fanzines and photocopied programmes in the early 80's. As the triumph of self determination and vision over a big and unwieldy industry that has pampered Sloanes at the shallow end of the publishing pool and a myriad of beautiful exotics at the other end. Lucky me - I spent my evening with the collective Angel Fish of the North.

I am so impressed with the amount of excited, enthusiastic, passionate people I met who can't wait to give up their day jobs and earn a living doing what makes them and many other people happy. They write because they need to, design because they burn to and party like it's 1999!

Annabel - there were one or two hiccups. Mostly due to the attention to detail overriding the practicalities of a a dozen coach parties arriving simultaneously with a thirst for champagne and rubber necking - 'can I recognise you from your profile picture?' - stampede. Slightly irksome. But lovely,  like an ingenue. I have been to some very slick 'do's' where a weary debutante trails you all night worrying that you're going to nick something. (Brides Magazine - I did steal some Jo Malone candles - but they were half burnt I promise!)

I have the zeal of a convert, a born again buyer. I want my own party now and I know just the girl to host it - Laura?

In case any of you don't know what I was wearing and don't believe I was there I am going to share one or two Blackberry pictures that will have you all reaching for Photoshop.



Pained looking - was attempting interesting LOL


My faithful Bebaroque tights - a godsend to a goth of a certain age

The lovely Polly Edwards Black Neroli headpiece

I managed to walk home over this

View from our very lovely Malmaison room
Sassi Holford & I congratulating ourselves on being out on a school night and having the lovely Martin & Marshy buying Champagne

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my fave reviews of the evening so far. Thank you so much for your honesty, your feedback and more importantly for making the effort to be there and enjoy yourself.

    We are well aware of the little hiccups that occured and my crack team of soiree superstars are on it already ;))

    I was blown away by the totally wonderful atmosphere, an infusion of excitement, very genuine love {no sycophants, just nice people!} and sense that this really was one special night for so many people who work their socks off to come together an let their hair down for once.

    It means the world to me that you enjoyed yourself. This, for me, was all about you guys, the industry and giving back a bit of a thank to everyone who has believed in my blog and made my dreams come true.

    Thanks so much.

    I love your tights.

    And you have amazing breasts! ;))

    hehehe xXxXx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...